IBEW
Print This Page       Text Size:
News Publications

Detroit Tree Trimmers Locked Out

July 1, 2010

lockout photo

 

More than 600 tree trimmers remain on the picket line in southeast Michigan, after being locked out June 22.


The trimmers – members of Detroit Local 17 – work for six subcontractors employed by DTE Energy Co. They were locked out after overwhelmingly voting down a concessionary contract pushed by the companies.

The majority of the employees have gone without a wage increase for more than three years and the contractors demanded cuts to vacation and holiday benefits.

“For years, our members took vacation benefits in place of wage increases and now the employers are looking to take that away,” said Local 17 Business Manager Kevin Shaffer.


This is the first tree-trimmer strike in the local’s history. Trimmers cut and remove branches that are in danger of coming into contact with power lines.

“We don’t want to be on strike,” Shaffer said. “But we deserve a fair contract.”

Shaffer says that the contractors are using the economic downturn as an excuse to force givebacks on their workers. “A lot of utility companies are jumping on the bandwagon in pushing cuts even though they are still making a profit.”


DTE Energy brought in replacement workers to deal with heavy storms that struck Michigan last week.


“We want to get customers back in power as soon as possible,” Local 17 striker Ron Heaton told the Oakland Press. “All we want is a fair deal from the companies.”

Local leaders are scheduled to return to the negotiating table this week.

.

Photo used under a creative commons license from Flickr user B I R D.

 

 

Local Connections IBEW Made Products CIR Home NECA Home NJATC Home IBEW Hour Power Electrifying Careers Building & Construction Trades Electric TV Quality Connection